To our friends, family, sponsors & fans
On January 19, 2022 the team was hit during a training run when the leaders accidentally jumped off the trail that runs very close to the Parks Highway in Willow and were struck by a truck traveling over 50 mph. Noddy was killed, and most of my best leaders were injured - some seriously enough that they may never run in harness again, others knocked out of running for the remainder of the season. As a result I felt it best to withdraw from Iditarod for this year, to focus on healing myself and the dogs from this unbelievable trauma.
This is not the end of Iditarod for me - I simply need to figure out what I have left for a leader crew and whether I will have a strong enough team for 2023 or need to wait for 2024 to return.
Read more about the accident:
- Truck strike kills and injures sled dogs in Willow (Alaska Daily News)
- Musher still in shock after tragic accident on Parks Highway (Alaska News Source)
- NH musher Jaye Foucher's dog killed in crash as team crossed Alaska highway (WCVB)
- NH musher out of Iditarod after crash killed 1 dog, injured 3 (WCAX)
- Sled dog returns home almost 2 days after team was hit by a truck in Alaska while training (Bangor Daily News)